Search OpenLegislation Statutes

This entry was published on 2014-09-22
The selection dates indicate all change milestones for the entire volume, not just the location being viewed. Specifying a milestone date will retrieve the most recent version of the location before that date.
SECTION 11-101
Compensation for injury caused by the illegal sale of intoxicating liquor
General Obligations (GOB) CHAPTER 24-A, ARTICLE 11, TITLE 1
§ 11-101. Compensation for injury caused by the illegal sale of
intoxicating liquor. 1. Any person who shall be injured in person,
property, means of support, or otherwise by any intoxicated person, or
by reason of the intoxication of any person, whether resulting in his
death or not, shall have a right of action against any person who shall,
by unlawful selling to or unlawfully assisting in procuring liquor for
such intoxicated person, have caused or contributed to such
intoxication; and in any such action such person shall have a right to
recover actual and exemplary damages.

2. In case of the death of either party, the action or right of action
given by this section shall survive to or against his or her executor or
administrator, and the amount so recovered by either a husband, wife or
child shall be his or her sole and separate property.

3. Such action may be brought in any court of competent jurisdiction.

4. In any case where parents shall be entitled to such damages, either
the father or mother may sue alone therefor, but recovery by one of such
parties shall be a bar to suit brought by the other.