Senator Montgomery and Assemblyman Weprin urge Governor’s immediate consideration of Clean Bill of Adoptee Rights legislation (S34l9/A5494) to restore unrestricted access to original birth certificates for all adult adoptees.
State Senator Velmanette Montgomery and Assemblyman David Weprin write to Governor Andrew Cuomo to urge his immediate consideration of the historic Clean Bill of Adoptee Rights legislation (S3419— Montgomery /A5494—Weprin) to restore unrestricted access to original birth certificates for all adult adoptees.
In their letter, Senator Montgomery and Assemblyman Weprin note:
Our bill would ensure that all adults adopted in New York State will have the same unimpeded right to access theirbath certificates as everyone else who is born in our state. Given the bill’s pending effective date of January 20, 2020 and the mandate for the State Department of Health to promulgate rules and regulations in order to carry out the provisions of the bill, we would appreciate an expedited review of our legislation.
This bill has widespread support from the Legislature. In the Senate, the bill has 19 co-sponsors and in the Assembly, the bill has over 70 co-sponsors. In addition to this, the bills passed both houses overwhelmingly.
Additionally, thousands of constituents and adoptees have contacted our offices in support of this legislation across the state. This bill also has a groundswell of support from advocacy groups and attorneys across the state and the nation:
- Academy of Adoption and Assisted Reproduction Attorneys (AAAA)
- Adoptee Rights Law Center
- Adoptive and Foster Family Coalition of New York
- American Adoption Congress
- AMT Children of Hope Foundation
- Bastard Nation: The Adoptee Rights Organization
- Concerned United Birthparents, Inc. (CUB)
- Equality for Adoptees
- Family Preservation 365
- Adoptions of Indiana
- Law Office of Faith Getz Rousso
- Lorraine Dusky/First Mother Forum
- National Center on Adoption and Permanency
- New York Adoptee Coalition
- New York Genealogical and Biographical Society
- North American Council on Adoptable Children
For decades, adoptees have been fighting to restore access to their birth certificates. This important legislation will allow generations of adoptees to finally receive an important piece of their personal and family legacy.
To read the full letter, download the PDF.
To learn more about this issue, visit: