NASSAU COUNTY, NY — A group of Nassau County officials have teamed up to host a drive to collect badly needed supplies for Haiti in the wake of a devastating 7.2-magnitude earthquake.
Assemblywomen Michaelle C. Solages and Taylor Darling, Nassau County Legislator Carrié Solages, Nassau County Executive Laura Curran, state Senators Anna Kaplan and Todd Kaminksy, North Hempstead Town Supervisor Judi Bosworth and Council Member Viviana Russell have announced the drive for the victims of Saturday's earthquake.
"The past few days have given me hope for Haiti as local partners in government & Long Islanders reach out to lend a helping hand to Haitian Nationals in need," said Assemblywoman Solages. "We are working collaboratively to coordinate aid for Haiti that is centered around the actual needs on the ground. Please visit a drop-off site close to you and donate what you can!"
The drive is looking for specific items. The only items that will be accepted are:
- water containers
- over-the-counter drugs
- wound care kits
- first aid kits
- baby supplies
- medical supplies
- personal hygiene products
- feminine hygiene products
- rehabilitation equipment (e.g., crutches).
Donations can be dropped off at the following locations:
- Assemblywoman Solages' Office, located at 1690 Central Court, Valley Stream (Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Theodore Roosevelt Executive and Legislative Building, 1550 Franklin Ave., Mineola (Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Senator Kaplan's Office, 1 Old Country Road Suite 270. Carle Place (Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Senator Kaminksy's Office, 55 Front St. Room 1, Rockville Centre (Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- North Hempstead Town Hall, 220 Plandome Road, Manhasset (Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- North Hempstead Town Clerk's Office, 200 Plandome Road, Manhasset (Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Michael J. Tully Park, 1801 Evergreen Ave, New Hyde Park (7 Days a Week, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.)
- "Yes We Can" Community Center, 141 Garden St., Westbury (7 Days a Week, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.)
Monetary donations will be accepted via the Haitian American Nurses Association of Greater New York. All locations will be accepting donations through Aug. 27 before sending the supplies to Haiti. For more information, call Assemblywoman Solages' office at 516-599-2972.