Senator Dilan Asks New Yorkers to Consider Enhanced Licenses for Travel

Martin Malavé Dilan

June 9, 2009

Senator Martin Malavé Dilan (D-Brooklyn) is urging New Yorkers who regularly travel outside the United States to apply for an Enhanced Driver License (EDL).

As of June 1, 2009, the federal Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative requires an EDL, or other federal identification papers, for travel into the country by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.

“An EDL takes less time to get, costs less than a U.S. passport and serves a similar purpose,” said Senator Dilan. “It will allow for faster processing at border crossings while assuring the necessary security of our state and nation’s border.”

The EDL can be used at border crossings to and from the United States, Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

The card confirms your identity and citizenship through the use of a unique number contained in a radio frequency identification tag. The card can be machine scanned for faster entry and travel. The radio tag does not contain any personal information other than what is currently displayed on your standard state driver’s license.

“This program has already been met with success in New York. So far we’ve had the most EDL applications of any state. But we have a real opportunity to drastically improve processing and security at our borders with this program, I urge anyone with a need for an EDL, to get one,” Senator Dilan concluded.

An EDL applicant is required to show proof of identity, state residency and U.S. Citizenship. All applications for EDLs must be made in person at a state Department of Motor Vehicles office. An EDL is a $30 fee, over the cost of your new or renewed driver’s license.

To learn more about the EDL visit