I voted against extending the “COVID-19 Emergency Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention Act of 2020” and extending the “COVID-19 Emergency Protect Our Small Businesses Act of 2021” until August 31, 2021 and this is why:
- The bill accepts that NYS was not able to help tenants or small businesses by this past Saturday, May 1, which is when the current moratoriums expired. That’s unacceptable.
- NYS has been given $2.4B in federal assistance to be specifically distributed to tenants & landlords. My colleagues and I have been asking for this to be distributed since LAST December.
- Now, the Budget Director stated that the APPLICATION for this financial relief won’t be ready until the end of May, while neighboring states are already distributing.
- If we wait any longer, this relief will not be nearly enough to provide relief to all landlords.
- NY needs to focus on getting IMMEDIATE assistance into the hands of these small businesses that are landlords, rather than extending it for another 4 months. This will only do more damage. Most cannot wait any longer.
Landlords may never recover because of this. Remember, time is money! It’s for these very reasons that I voted NO.