On January 1, a major overhaul of the bail system officially became law. Under these changes, there are dozens of serious crimes that no longer require bail, allowing alleged perpetrators to return to their communities with no consequence.
A partial list of these crimes that no longer require bail include:
- Criminally negligent homicide
- Second-degree vehicular manslaughter
- Aggravated vehicular manslaughter
- Second-degree manslaughter
- Reckless assault of a child
- First and second-degree harassment (hate crime)
- First and second-degree aggravated harassment
- First and second-degree aggravated harassment (hate crime)
- Promoting an obscene sexual performance by a child
- Possessing an obscene sexual performance by a child
- Promoting a sexual performance by a child
- Possessing a sexual performance by a child
- Animal abuse, animal fighting and animal torture
This is only a partial list of offenses that allow criminals to leave prison without parole. These “reforms” are now giving a free pass to many individuals who commit serious crimes that place our communities at risk.
Since entering into law, dozens of criminals have been allowed back on the streets, leaving us more vulnerable than ever.
The Senate Democrats have shown no willingness to correct the mistakes in their ill-conceived bail reforms, so it incumbent upon honest, law-abiding New Yorkers to make our voices heard and urge a bail reform repeal.
This petition is a call for action. A call for change. By signing this, you’ll be sending a strong message to the Senate Majority that our communities MUST be protected and dangerous criminals cannot be let out into our neighborhood with no repercussions.