1. When did you participate in the Undergraduate Session Assistants Program or Senate Fellowship?
2018-2019 Session Fellowship
2. Which Senate office were you placed in during your internship?
Senator Pamela Helming
3. Briefly describe your responsibilities/day-to-day activities in your internship office placement.
Write drafts of memos and letters, talk to constituents, meet with interest and advocacy groups, and attend hearings and meetings.
4. Where are you working now? Briefly describe your responsibilities/day-to-day activities in your current place of employment.
I am now a Budget Fellow I for the NYS Division of the Budget in the Mental Hygiene Unit. My day to day activities include reviewing and recommending budget requests, hiring requests, and updating and presenting monthly cash flow spreadsheets while also assisting with other day to day requests from the Office of Mental Health.
5. What did you learn from participating in the New York State Senate internship programs that you have been able to carry over to your new position?
Networking was the main thing I learned. Those who I have met at my time at Senate have helped me to succeed quickly. The Senate gave me the opportunity to jump into a demanding position that required skills that I had gathered from my time in the Fellowship, which includes multitasking, project prioritizing, and working on a flexible schedule.