Senator Kevin Thomas recognized 20 exceptional individuals for their service and dedication to their communities at the annual Community Recognition Night.
Honorees were presented with the New York State Commendation Award, a distinct honor given to individuals who have distinguished themselves through volunteerism, civic involvement, philathropy, and other forms of service to their community.
Those honored included:
- Reverend Reginald Benjamin, Executive Director of the Able Body Believer’s Alliance (ABBA) Leadership Center
- Captain Charles Roberts, Captain of The Salvation Army Hempstead Citadel Corps
- Bonita Bishop-Johnson, educator and Director of the Artistry Performing Arts Center
- Stephanie Draine and George Graydon, founders of Life After Loss – A. N. D. R. E.
- Irene A. Duszkiewicz, Director of Hempstead Public Library
- Chantel Dixon, mother, cancer survivor and advocate for women who are currently fighting breast cancer.
- Tina Schuford, community advocate, President of 100 Terrace and All The Way 100 % Inc.
- Dr. Sherin Abraham, Nurse Practitioner and CPR instructor
- Marc Aracena, teacher at Uniondale High School and Volunteer at the East Meadow Fire Department
- Theresa Catapano-Black, Commissioner of the Bethpage Water District Board
- Biju Chacko, community advocate
- Colleen Ciullo, community advocate and VP of Legislation at the Garden City PTA
- Robin Fitzpatrick, EMT and second lieutenant at the East Meadow Fire Department
- Denise Michaelis, President of Clarke Music Parents Association
- Eileen Napolitano, community activist
- Laura Proppe, Brain & Body Yoga Teacher and Educator
- Heidi Sanft, 1st Vice President of the Nostrand Gardens Civic Association
- Christine Scheppa, registered nurse and community advocate
- Syed Shuja Ahmed, community advocate
- Francis Abnet, community advocate and union leader