As we enter the winter season, I wanted to provide you with important emergency phone numbers and Red Cross safety information to help you and your family stay prepared for wintery weather.
You can check the expected snowfall totals from the National Weather Service. Always follow National Weather Service guidance as they are the official source for weather-related information.
Senator Kevin Thomas
SNOW EMERGENCY RESOURCES
Emergencies: Dial 911
To report power outages or downed power lines:
- PSEG 24 hour hotline: (800) 490-0075
To report gas outages or gas safety emergencies:
- National Grid 24 hour hotline: (800) 490-0045
For residents in need of a warm place to shelter, dial 1-866-WARMBED or 1-866-927-6233.
NEW YORK STATE PHONE NUMBERS:
- NYS Department of Transportation: 631-904-3059
- State Roads- (516) 222-1936
- Southern State Parkway- (516) 378-5939
- State Bridges- (631) 661-1685
NASSAU COUNTY PHONE NUMBERS:
- Public Works- (516) 571-9600
- Road Maintenance Unit- (516) 571-6900
TOWN OF HEMPSTEAD PHONE NUMBERS:
- Main Line- (516) 489-5000
- Help Line - (516) 489 - 6000
- Public Safety- (516) 538-1900 (after hours)
OTHER IMPORTANT NUMBERS:
- Nassau County's Non-Emergency Hotline: 1-888-684-4274
Information on mass transit service:
• MTA/LIRR/NYC Transit: www.mta.info
• LIRR 24 hour travel information center: 718-217-5477
• NICE Bus travel information: 516-228-4000
• NYC Transit travel information: 718-330-1234
RED CROSS SAFETY INFORMATION
Severe winter storms like this bring with it many hazards and the Red Cross urges residents to be prepared and stay safe. Additional emergency preparedness information and resources can be found at redcross.org/prepare or by downloading the Red Cross Emergency App.
Stay safe, and please feel free to contact my office at 516-739-1700 if I may be of assistance.