Albany, N.Y., January 9—State Senator Tom O’Mara today joined his colleagues in the Senate Republican Conference to unveil a “Rescue New York” 2023 legislative agenda.
O’Mara said that the GOP plan proposes a broad range of policies focusing on public safety and security, economic growth and job creation, tax relief and regulatory reform, and affordability initiatives to try to reverse New York’s nation-leading population loss.
O’Mara said, “"New Yorkers across the Southern Tier and Finger Lakes regions I represent, and statewide, are worried about making ends meet. They see this state becoming less safe, less affordable, less free, less economically competitive, less responsible, and far less hopeful for the future. Albany Democrats acknowledge that New York State has an affordability crisis causing the exodus of our citizens to more affordable states, however the Democrats are intent on raising taxes to increase handouts to their base. They have no interest in reining in out-of-control spending, eliminating taxes, lowering costs, cutting burdensome regulations and mandates, or restoring public safety. We need to rescue New York by restoring the right priorities to turn things around, rebuild stronger and safer communities, and work toward a more responsible and sustainable future for middle-class communities, families, workers, businesses, industries, and taxpayers."
Senate Republican Leader Rob Ortt said, “Economic activity has decreased, crime has increased, and people are leaving our state in droves. We continue to struggle with the economic aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic, coupled with record inflation and increased costs on everything from groceries to gas and home heating fuels, but One-Party Rule continues to fail to address these important issues. We must prioritize making New York safer, stronger, more affordable and more free for every resident. Our 2023 Rescue New York agenda addresses these critical areas and will help put our state back on the right path.”
The “Rescue New York” agenda is a comprehensive plan to improve public safety, ease the financial burden on middle-class families and small business owners, and restore the quality of life in communities statewide. The plan focuses on:
A Safer New York
- Restore common sense to our criminal justice system to prevent crime and protect New Yorkers;
- Increase efforts and investments to end the opioid and mental health epidemics; and
- Support and protect our seniors.
A Stronger New York
- Expand economic opportunity and strengthen our workforce;
- Invest in infrastructure for the 21st century; and
- Help our veterans and military families thrive.
A More Affordable New York
- Cut the Empire State’s highest-in-the-nation tax burden and control government spending;
- Reduce the cost of living for families and all residents;
- Improve New York’s worst-in-the-nation business climate; and
- Enact climate policies that ensure access to affordable, reliable, and clean energy.
A More Free New York
- Provide a high-quality education to all students;
- Uphold the rights of New Yorkers; and
- Restore accountability in State government.
Find out more on "Rescue New York" HERE.