where a sizable portion of students observe such religious or cultural days.
S.513B (THOMAS) - Relates to establishing certain cultural and religious observances as school holidays in certain districts
Senator Kevin Thomas said, “I am proud and excited that my legislation allowing more inclusive school holidays across New York State has passed after years of advocating for this. We should not force students and their parents to choose between celebrations and missing class. I’ve spent the last few years working with community and faith leaders to make more inclusive school holidays a reality - and now we are one step closer.
As a proud Indian-American, I know how important the promotion of religious and cultural diversity is for students of all backgrounds to feel included, seen and celebrated. I couldn’t be more thankful for the support from colleagues, educators and advocates who've led this fight.”
Other Bills sponsored by Sen. Thomas passed by the NYS Senate this week include:
· S.7524A (THOMAS) - Relates to first degree aggravated unlicensed operation (AUO) of a motor vehicle
· S.5056A (THOMAS) - Provides cap on the credit service charge computed and collected on a retail installment contract
· S.5230 (THOMAS) - Requires annual fair housing testing
· S.536A (THOMAS) - Restricts the promotion of electronic cigarettes; prohibits suppression of data and misrepresentations regarding health consequences of vaping
· S.363 (THOMAS) - Relates to creating a private education debt registry
· S.365B (THOMAS) - Relates to enacting the NY privacy act