About Peter Oberacker
Republican, Conservative Republican, Conservative
- Alcoholism and Substance Use Disorders Ranking Member
- Transportation Ranking Member
- Education Member
- Finance Member
- Higher Education Member
- Labor Member
Senator Peter Oberacker is serving his second term representing the 51st Senate District. First elected in 2020 during a global pandemic, Senator Oberacker is keenly aware of the many critical issues and concerns facing the seven counties he represents.
Senator Oberacker’s leading priorities include:
- Expanding broadband and cellular phone access to meet the needs of the entire state, specifically rural areas that have been left behind;
- Supporting small businesses, ensuring they have the resources needed to increase employment;
- Assisting volunteer EMS squads with training requirements, recruitment, and retention;
- Improving infrastructure including upstate roads and bridges.
Prior to his election to the state senate, Peter served as a member of the Otsego County Board of Representatives where he chaired the Public Works Committee, served as vice-chair of the Administration Committee, and was a member of Human Services, Negotiations, and Inter-Governmental Affairs committees. Previously, Peter served as Maryland Town Supervisor and as a town board member.
Peter grew up in a family of sausage makers, working in the family’s local market since age eight. Peter has a long career in product research, development, and implementation in the food industry business. In 2007, he created FormTech Solutions and built it into a successful multi-million dollar business working with major companies around the world to develop and incorporate new and innovative products and then make them applicable in the ever-growing food industry.
A dedicated community member, Peter is a member of his local Fire Department and EMS squad and is a member of the Masonic Lodge. Peter is a graduate of Schenevus High School and SUNY Delhi. He is married to his high school sweetheart, Shannon, of 34 years. They have two adult children.